Monday, November 12, 2012

A silver sixpence for your shoe

If you're a longtime reader, you know that I had a silver sixpence in my shoe during our wedding.  My mother wore the same one in her shoe.

It's supposed to bring luck and wealth to your marriage, and it's in that well-known poem:

something old, something new
something borrowed, something blue, 
... and a silver sixpence for your shoe

I really love whole idea of the sixpence, so of course I wanted to share the tradition with my sister-in-law for her upcoming wedding.

They don't make sixpences anymore, but I managed to find one, and it's even from the year her mother was born!

To give it a special touch, I handmade a card to present it in.

Using my Silhouette Cameo, I designed the words and cut them out of scrapbook paper - antiqued paper for the "old", white roses for the "new", and of course navy blue!  It ended up being a happy coincidence that it came out to be her wedding colors of navy and gold!



I almost bought a high heel Silhouette pattern online, but I balked at the price and selection and made my own.  I googled some images of high heels, and used the tracing tool in my Silhouette software to get the shape.  My SIL loves pink, so I went with hot pink paper!  If she had chosen her heels by now, I would try to copy those.



I hope it brings luck and wealth to her marriage!



3 comments:

  1. It is all so pretty and such a keepsake. You are a dear SIL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you and that new gizmo are quite a pair! It came out darling !

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it BB . I have become a fan of your blog !

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!